Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Jamaica

Well I am on a new adventure to a part of the world I have never been. I am currently sitting in the home of the Castor's who are the leaders of The Salvation Army for the Caribbean. They were previously the second in charge for the DRC and where transferred here in the fall of last year. I am researching opportunities for a mission trip this summer to Kingston Jamaica partnering my church with our mother church in Tustin Ranch.

Yesterday I had the opportunity to tour three different ministries: two corps (churches)Rae Town & Allman Town and our training school for officers (pastors). The corps are in the heart of Kingston and the area was described as the ghetto by the corps officers (pastors). I agree. A very poor area with many, many need. Both corp operate a preschools that are in need of funding. They have space for more children but cannot afford more teachers so many children get turned away. There is a big literacy problem, so there is an effort to teach children how to read. The buildings are in decent shape and the Corps in Rae Town was in process of some fix ups. The work is being performed and paid for by people of the church. The corps officers have great hearts and big vision for their churches and need some partnering in order to make it happen.

I also visited the Training College when men and women spend two years being trained to become Salvation Army Officers (Pastors). The training principal and his wife are Canadians who only arrived here last year. The school was a disaster when they arrived, and with help from a large team from Canada the school was significantly fixed up. Turns out the training principal and his wife were the corps officers of my grandparents in Parie Sound, Ontario Canada. They new my uncle and my dad...small world. The Training School is in need of some IT help to aid in the education of the cadets (students).

I spent the evening visiting with the Castor's talking about church and politics.

I have taken only a few pictures thus far, but I do not have a way to down load them. I will do that when I get home.

Until later, Grace & Peace.

Michael.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OUTSTANDING! The small world factor is so cool. Say hi to the Castors for us.Sounds like there is a lot of opportunity for for service, that's exciting. Well keep up the good work and as always be safe, we miss you. I'll let Nate and Dave know I talked with you tonight at baseball where they are gonna smoke um up! GO TIGERS!!

Ya Mon,Patrick.

im gonna refrain from making comments about missions trips to Jamaica...but you know me so you can imagine the restraint required =-)