Friday, September 26, 2008

Goma - Day 6

Normally I have all week to prepare to speak at our weekend services. With all the speaking I am doing, I have the night before to get ready for the following day. I did not think that cramming in college was good but it is paying off. This morning I spoke at Heal Africa (www.healafrica.org). The meeting consisted of all employees, volunteers and those in there various programs about 350 people. There was a team from a Baptist church in Brisbane Australia who has been doing a lot of great work. Their team consisted of Doctors, Dentists and teachers, a very valuable combination for Goma. I met a guy from Berkley, California who taught the women how to produce peanut butter for malnourished children. The peanut butter consisted of peanuts, sugar, milk and vitamins.

I met a diplomat from the US embassy in Kinshasa who was in Goma to assess the situation. He had heard about Esther’s Breaking the Silence rally and wanted to learn more. With him was the assistant regional security officer for the US embassy in Kinshasa. Nice guy and he gave his contact information for the next time I’m in Kinshasa. His card says that he is a ‘Diplomatic Security Service Special Agent’. I am not sure what that means, but sounds cool to have special agent on your business card. I wonder if I can get the title of special agent put on my card, Michael Freeman, ‘Special Agent for Advancing the Kingdom’, sounds good.

I went and bought 5 sewing machines, scissors, thread and tape measures for five women that will be leaving Heal Africa to go back to their villages. They will be equipped to provide for themselves and I pray that God will protect them from further violence, sexual or otherwise.

I spoke at Restoration for their Thursday night meeting. The meeting start at 3:30pm but they said I did not need to be their until about 4:15 or 4:30. Within a few minutes of arriving, I was preaching. I used Mathew 13, Jesus telling the story of the different kinds of soil and the seed. My translator was very animated and he helped me to kick it up a few notches. The message seemed to be received well and there was a good response.

After the meeting we went to Heal Africa where Esther and Dieudonne were leading a meeting of the women who are recovering from sexual violence. I was asked to share a few words and I was honored. These are amazing women and they really believe in Jehovah-Rapha, God is my healer. There were 5 women who where leaving to go back to their villages and one by one I present each women with a sowing machine and supplies. They were so overjoyed that they all started dancing and singing. They were so appreciative and I know that this project is something that we need to be a part of going forward. I took pictures, but because of darkness they did not turn out.

It’s now 7:30pm and I think I am done for the evening. I am not sure of the plan for tomorrow and that will determine if I have other things to prepare.

All is well, keep praying.

Grace and Peace,

Michael.

No comments: