Monday, September 29, 2008

Goma - Day 9




The power was out all night, but I was able to get the blog out thanks to the generator. At about 3:30pm the power came back one.

Esther left for Bukavu early this morning and arrived there safely about 2 hours later.

Our plan for the morning was to do a half-day seminar at Lake Kivu’s Christian Centers ‘International School of Evangelism’ on the outskirts of Goma. Patrick and I gave medical supplies to a medical clinic in this area back in April. The schools focus is to train up evangelists and then release them back to their homes to do the work God called them to do. They are in classes every morning and then in the afternoon they have various jobs to do, including agriculture. They take the model from the Apostle Paul who called himself a tent maker. I was amazed that none of the students are from Goma, the people in Goma think it is too far out of town, about 10 minute drive. The students are from all over the country and as far away as Kinshasa. I taught one session on the role of the church and another one the role of the leader. They were very eager to learn and after each session we had a good Q & A time. Everywhere that I have been able to teach there is a visual hunger for the Word. They really take what was taught and struggle at time to see how that looks in their life. It is really what we should be doing, not just hearing a message, but struggling to see the application in our lives.

Back at the house Camille and I had a very introspect discussion, and we are more alike that I first thought. We (they, I took a pause to type this while the power is back) are working some new shelving in their house. We (again they) are rearranging the studio to make room for a couple guys that will be here for a couple weeks to record a dramatic portrayal of the Bible.

It has been nice to have a little non speaking work this afternoon, although I could use a nap. I am looking forward to the plane ride home; actually I am looking forward to sleeping the whole way home.

For those who have been to Kinshasa before or those of you have seen the photos, remember the VW vans with 20 or so people in them? I have got another crazy one for you. At the end of last week, I told you about giving the sowing machine and supplies to women going back to their villages. That night we helped get one women, her baby, her sowing machine still in the box, and a large bag of her personal items off to her village…on a 125 motorcycle! She had her baby tied to her back and the sewing machine on her lap. The taxi driver (motorcycle was the taxi) had her bag in front of him on the gas tank. This journey a little was away, cost less than 1000fc, which is about $2. I thought this was crazy, but everyone looked at me like I was the crazy one. You would be amazed at what people carry on these motorcycles. We would use a truck or SUV, and they use a motorcycle. I have seen women with large bags on their lap with their toddler sitting on the gas tank! These ‘taxi’ drivers are crazy drivers, and not crazy fun, but crazy bad.

I do not think I have ever been this exhausted on one of these trips. For me, preparing to speak and then speaking is more tiring than all the manual labor I have done in the past.

Your prayers are working, don’t stop.

Grace and Peace,

Michael.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

generous donation of sewing machines to the women who were leaving Heal Africa and returning to their villages. I assume they learned sewing in the Healing Arts facility at Heal Africa and now have an opportunity to become self sufficient and provide for themselves and their families. Please continue to spread the word about the great needs of women in North Kivu, pray for an end to the sexual violence and conflicts, and keep up your good work.
Kerry Gough, Counsel, Global Strategies for HIV Prevention.