Saturday, September 27, 2008

Goma - Day 7


Early morning again today as I preached at Heal Africa's employee chapel service. Spoke on the importance of taking out burdens to Jesus, in fact HE asks us to do so. The verse says,"Come to me all who are weak and carrying heaven burdens and I will give you rest." That is an amazing promise and when you think of the context of our world, we will not continue moving forward unless we release our burdens to Jesus. After the service I had a few hours until I was to go to Hope for Helpless. I spent the time napping, relaxing, working out, and getting ready for Sunday. I accepted another speaking invitation for Sunday morning. I will speak in one church for their 7am service, then go to another church for their 10am service.

I went to Hope for the Helpless (hopeforthehelpless.com) in the afternoon. This is a ministry which sponsor children in school but does so much more than that. On top of the school fees, uniforms, shoes, and school supplies they provide, they have tutoring, and bible study every Saturday. Children are expected to come every Saturday and if they do no they are followed up with. I was given the opportunity to speak to the kids and I was truly blessed. We ran out and picked up cokes and bread for all the kids. I observed one girl, about 14, doing a little dance while she ate. Andre said she was happy and I ask why. He gave an amazing answer, "because she is eating!" Wow! We need to see how we can plug into this ministry with sponsorship, and help with food for bible study and tutoring times. There is also vision for a basic structure to help to protect kids from the sun and rain. After the Saturday meeting was done, we packed kids into C & E's two suv's and dropped them off close to home. The kids in my suv enjoyed my driving. I pretended that we where all in my Mini, they where laughing hard, especially the boys in the very back.

Esther is going to Bukavu on Monday to keep the "Breaking the Silence" movement moving. The governor of South Kivu was moved by the victims stories and she wants to discuss how the government can help make keeping women safe a reality. She purchased her ticket (travel to Bukavu by 'high' speed boat) next to nice hotel on Lake Kivu. We decided to have dinner there and as we sat we could see the coast of the DRC and Rwanda. It was a very relaxing time.

Pray for Esther's upcoming trip, for protect and favor.
Pray for the continue healing of Camille's leg, recovering from muscle tear. Cast to be on until Wednesday.

Grace and Peace,

Michael.

PS. The two girls in the picture are in the Hope for the Helpless program. They are both 8 years old and last year were both victims of sexual violence.

No comments: