Monday, April 14, 2008

Off and running

Mobte!

Everytime I arrive here, I have this felling like I never left. The sites, sounds and smells are so familiar and in a strange kind of way relaxing. It has been fun watching Patrick experience so much for the first time, it keeps it fresh for me.

The "small" incident at the aiport asside, it has been all good. We are staying in Kitambo which is about 15 minutes from downtown Kinshasa when there is no traffic. After resting about and hour we took a 1 kilometer walk to get water at a small grocery store. I do not know why people where looking at us, two white guys who are dressed exactly the same walking in a way that says I know your looking at me. Saturday night we had dinner with the heads of the Salvation Army for Congo at a home accross the street...great local food.

Patrick already gave you a taste of Nzelo, and all I can add is that joy from the Lord is undeniable. These people seemingly had nothing, yet that had everything. The meeting was filled with singing which was crazy good. When we (Castors, Patrick and I) left, they loaded us up with gifts. Sugar cane, banannas, papyas, kasava, squash and...a goat. The goat was not trilled being tied to the truck and Patrick and I tried not to discuss what was going to happen to the goat. If the goat knew what was coming, he would had been even more upset, I know I would have been.

Sunday evening we met with some family of Davinas and shared with them some photos of her. We were then made a congolese meal that was enough food for many people. Francis was translating for us so he heped us with the consumtion of food. We both feel asleep early, then paid the price by being awake from midnight to four in the morning. Needless to say, we are not quite adjusted to the time zone yet.

Thanks to all that have given in various ways for child sponsorship. Being able to see the kids and pay their fees was a real joy today. Patrick was documenting well each child so we share accurately when we get home. By the time we leave, we will have paid school fees for at least 30 children. That is 30 kids would otherwise not be in school.

Our big project has buying the farm and we did that today. I handed commissioner Mungate(head of the Salvation Army for Congo) 12,000 dollars cash money. I commend you church for raising all the money to pay for this worth while project. They told us that they had sleepless nights wondering where they were going to get the needed money for this project. It is very cool that God used you, He used us, to answer the prayers of the people here. Tomorrow we will go and see the "promised land" and work with a Kenyan name Abednego on what we will do over the next week.

About the motorcycle...Patrick as like a little kid at Christmas getting the present he always wanted. We will use the motorcycle in Mato to get around then give it away when we leave.

We hope to get some pictures up tomorrow.

To Mrs. Peytons class: The farm we are going to has no aminals yet. I get to buy pigs and chickens and maybe a dairy cow for the farm that the people here will take care of. Can you guess how many pigs and chickens I will buy? I will tell you later and the winner will get a present from the Congo.

To my family: Some day, we will experience this all together. Nate and Davina, listen to mommy and hug the dogs for me. Joanna...you know...

Grace and Peace,


Michael

2 comments:

Joanna Nate & Davina said...

HI Dad I did good at the first day of testing. It was pretty easy. I hope you have a good time in Africa. My class says Hi too. We miss you a lot. We love you. Give lots of pili pili to Patrick. You are the best. Love Nate

Davina says eats lots of bananas. I love you Daddy and I miss you very much! And I love Patrick.

Joanna Nate & Davina said...

Davina says she loves Daddy and Patrick. Eat lots of mangos. Hannah Montana has no hands or feet now that Zebe ate her, but she sings a different song now. I love Daddy so so much, and I love Patrick so so much too and Nate.
DAVINA NSOMBI FREEMAN