Thursday, April 24, 2008

Safely in Goma

Today was a day of movement. Our scheduled departure to Goma was right on schedule and went off with out a hitch. Last week an airplane crashed on take off from the Goma airport, the same airlines that we flew on. We took off from Kinshasa, then stopped in Kisangani before our arrival in Goma. On each landing most passengers clapped as if a safe landing was not supposed to happen. Our luggage made it safe which was kind of a surprise. We actually had to check in our bags the night before we flew at the airlines office in town. They then drive our bags to the airport and load them, kind of different.

It was great to see Camille and Esther! Esther met us in the airport and help us get through the process faster. I did not think there would be any process for a domestic flight, but... Our accommodations are a little different than what we experienced in Mato, running water and electricity are fantastic. Patrick and I taught a a bible study tonight. Camille had started a 3 week crash course in English, then kept it going through Bible study. They started with worship, all in English and that is a way to learn more. We sang Lord I Lift Your Name and Trading My Sorrows to start. A great way to start the Bible Study! Patrick and I did our bit and left time for questions, a great time. The Bible study was at a restaurant/guest house/hotel owned by a good friend of Camille and Esther's. It was a fantastic safe environment, which are few in Goma.

We gave Camille and Esther all the stuff we brought and they are very happy. Thanks to all of you for making it possible.

We just finished eating a late dinner and having great conversation. In the next week I will be preaching on a few occasions and we will be teaching and sharing in other situations. Keep praying for Camille, Esther, Patrick and myself. Goma is not the safest place but God's will be done.

Grace and Peace,

Michael

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So glad you safe flights and got to Goma without any problems; God is SO good! I studied a map today and saw where you were and now where you are. I found tons of pictures of Goma to give me a good idea of where you are. I remembered Goma because it means 'glue' in Spanish. Stick to God like glue! That's the updated version of remaining in Him. He is the vine and we are the branches. I praying that this leg of the trip will produce lots of fruit! I'm praying for your safety both physical and spiritual. God protect you both, C